Monday, April 16, 2012

My Organizational Strategy for Choosing a Computer


          
          In the process of looking for a new laptop computer I have to admit I have a large degree of bias in what I want in a computer.  First of all, I do not want to deal with any viruses and I do not want to have to worry about virus software because it is one more headache to worry about.  This first category is built in virus protection, or rather, virus immunity.  There is only one brand of laptop computer that can claim virus immunity, which limits my shopping preferences considerably.  Another classification, beyond the security from viruses, is size for portability.  I prefer a laptop that is 13”-15” because smaller, more lightweight laptops work better for my current busy lifestyle.  I also need a computer with reasonable space and the ability to connect an external hard drive because I want to back up all my files; there is nothing worse than having a hard drive crash the night a paper is due.  Finally, I want photo software that enables me to create albums, fancy editing, and easy usability. 

            Based on my security classification the brand of computer becomes a necessary issue, so I have narrowed down my computer needs to three laptops, the MacBook, the MacBook Air, or the MacBook Pro.  I also satisfy my photo needs with these three computers because I like the usability of iPhoto.  All three of these computers are available in lightweight and compact models.  And the ability to back up files to an external hard drive is easy to use with Mac’s time machine software and iDisk.
            In partitioning the laptop computers under analysis, I would look at the storage available with the computer’s factory settings, without the help of an external hard drive.  An Intel Core 2 Duo Processor is also an important feature for capabilities.  I want to be able to load CD’s and DVD’s directly into the device with the ability to burn movies, music, and software.  Although I know that Mac laptops tend to run higher in price than some other brands, affordability is still an important feature.  Based on these characteristics I can narrow my computer search to one specific laptop with relative ease.  The MacBook Air has no storage space and no built in CD/DVD ROM so that fact eliminates one of my three choices.  Between the MacBook Pro and the MacBook my needs are met, but the pricepoint on the MacBook is considerably lower than the MacBook Pro.  The MacBook Pro has more capabilities than the MacBook, but the MacBook suits all of my needs and the cost is much more reasonable.  So in shopping for a laptop, after categorizing and partitioning the laptops I have researched, the MacBook is the best choice based on my needs.

            Writing about my process in selecting a laptop computer I have learned that my paper writing practice throughout the process of my education actually has real life application.  I have to admit, I have been writing all these papers thinking only of my GPA and finishing school.  I always thought the content of the class was the important part and the papers a nuisance to prove I am learning.  The truth is, these endless papers are actually preparing me for whatever career I pursue.  Maybe this seems like a ridiculously simple realization, however this is actually quite a significant epiphany for my educational process and me.

References

No comments:

Post a Comment