Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ethics in Business


         Values and ethics may not always seem to hold a big place in business organizations, but this is a very important topic with potential to largely influence the work environment.  Value congruence is an important factor for me in a positive work environment, if I don’t have this, my behavior and work output suffer.  Given ethical dilemmas in the workplace, I feel confident in my own ability to make ethical decisions, so I focus on my internal ethical radar before that of the organization.  I rely on my personal ethics meter because I know that organizations may not always represent what I deem ethical and often organizations are guilty of abuse of ethics.  I analyze the culture of the organization and use social judgment, but return to my internal locus of control because that way I know I can sleep at night.  We all face difficult ethical dilemmas at certain points in our lives and careers.  Given choices in ethical dilemmas I first evaluate what I believe in, then I determine the organizational philosophy, then I find the best way to incorporate both of these.  The ethics of an organization are only as strong as the individuals within that organization and I do not believe that people always behave in the most ethical fashion or represent the organization’s philosophy. 
            As a human resources representative I have faced decisions on hiring people for my organization where ethical concerns come into play.  As a hypothetical example, Shockley-Zalabak presents a scenario in which the president of the company does not want a woman on his personal staff (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  According to the scenario presented, as the personnel director it is my job to screen applicants for promotions to management positions and the top three applicants are all women (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  
Feminist values are a large part of my personal value system and discrimination based on gender is a topic that upsets me from an ethical point of view in a general sense, and infuriates me from a personal perspective.  I personally know I have been passed over for opportunities in my career and educational past even as far back as elementary school.  Because this is an issue that has affected me personally, when faced with a decision where the best people may not be considered for a management position simply because they are women I cannot support this type of behavior.  Value congruence is the amount individual values concur with the organizational values (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  If the president of the company does not want women on his personal staff because they are women, this is a sexist position and interferes with my personal values.  I also think discrimination based on gender is unethical; discrimination in any form is unethical.  Faced with this hypothetical situation I would ignore the president’s sexist preferences and send the three top applicants to him.  The three top applicants are women and the president will likely not be pleased, may even confront me on my impertinence.  I feel strongly enough that I would be willing to sacrifice my new position as personnel director to make sure hiring practices are non-discriminating and that the top applicants are given consideration for their performance and qualifications regardless of their gender.  I would not confront the president or behave in any way that is not befitting my position, but I would stand my ground if questioned about my choices and show validation for the fact that the applicants presented were the most qualified for the position.  He may reject all three and force me to continue the search, and I would continue to choose applicants based on merit, not gender.  

            Personal loyalty to a friend or loyalty to upper management within my organization presents another hypothetical situation described by Shockley-Zalabak (2009).  In this hypothetical situation I’ve overheard my manager and the manager of the department my best friend works for and their conversation is unfavorable in regards to my best friend (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  According to the scenario my best friend wants a promotion very much, but she will not be chosen due to the fact that her manager is not pleased with her performance (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  My best friend is also considering a job offer from another group (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  I assume that my friend may not accept the offer from another group because she wants the promotion so badly and the question is what I will do with the information I am presented with.  Social judgment is our value of the feelings of others and our personal generalized assumptions about the why of people’s work (Shockley-Zalabak, 2009).  My friend’s feelings are the most important to me in this scenario because I am personally invested in the relationship and the two managers have no idea I overheard them.  I do not feel that eavesdropping is ethical, but in this situation I believe the eavesdropping was accidental and my new knowledge is not known to anyone else.  
          What do I do?  This is not a simple decision for me and largely depends on how much I trust my friend and how I feel she will react.  I do not want her hurt and I do not want her to get me into trouble if I try to help her.  I do not feel that the two managers gossiping about employees is entirely ethical, but I also recognize they are human and need to discuss things, maybe even look to each other for advice and support.  My concern for others is largely social and I am concerned about the feelings of my friend as well as that of my manager, but ultimately my friend will win in regards to my personal values.  I would talk to my friend, outside of work and preferably when she has the entire weekend to ponder her own choices.  I would certainly not tell her the exact words her manager used because that might hurt her feelings.  I would explain that I overheard our managers and that if it ever got back to anyone that I told her I would probably be in a great deal of trouble, or at least a great deal of embarrassment.  
          If she truly is my best friend she will recognize the need to protect my position.  After talking to her about what I overheard in the gentlest way possible, I would talk up the position in the other group, pointing out the things about her current group she may have complained to me about in the past.  Hopefully this would remind her that she may indeed be much happier in the new group.  Also, if her manager is not happy with her performance it may indicate that deep down she is really not happy in her position and her group and that change will be good for her.  I would not recommend that she confront her boss or ever let on that she knew about his displeasure because that could possibly burn bridges.  If he is not pleased with her, moving to a new group may be a win-win for both of them.  This value decision aligns with a basic rule between female best friends and I would not feel in any way that I made the wrong choice even if I feel bad about hearing information I should not have been privy to.

            Within business organizations values and ethics are not black and white.  The way the organization approaches ethics and the way the individuals within the organization approach ethics will have a large impact on the work environment.  Hopefully the value congruence between the individuals and the organization will be strong and the work environment will be a positive place.  However, when faced with an ethical dilemma, I have a great deal of self-confidence in my own ethical values.  This may be because I have a high self-esteem and my internal locus of control points me in the right direction.  At some point everyone will face a difficult decision in regards to ethics in the workplace, but recognizing personal philosophy in relation to organizational philosophy will make such decisions easier to make. The ethics of an organization are only as strong as the individuals within that organization and I do not believe that people always behave in the most ethical fashion or represent the organization’s philosophy.
        

        
References
Shockley-Zalabak, Pamela S. (2009.). Fundamentals of organizational communication knowledge, sensitivity, skills, values (7th ed.). Boston: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment