Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Applying the Stages of Constructive Conflict Management

            In my early twenties I managed a cosmetics and skin care store in a busy mall.  Teenage girls, especially teenage girls who view themselves as gorgeous, are ripe with interpersonal conflicts.  Throw into that picture girls who attend high school together and often belong to different social scenes or cliques, and then put them all into a beauty store together where they have to work in harmony with one another and the harmonious atmosphere must remain intact regardless of what happened at school that day or what outside person walks into the store.  Managing interpersonal conflict is how I learned active listening skills, how I learned to temper emotional climates, how I learned to choose words carefully for their power, and how I learned to successfully cope in every other interpersonal relationship I've had since.  These girls could test the limits of anyone's peace making attempts and I had to do better than maintain peace, I had to make them like each other.

Prelude
            The first challenge I faced on managing interpersonal conflict was the little goth girl on her first introduction to our newly hired cheerleader.  I hired outgoing, enthusiastic, well-spoken people to add the most value to my staff.  I did not anticipate the conflict of mixing style genre in the store.  The two cheerfully smiled at each other, but my goth girl had been with me for awhile and I instantly noticed the artificially set smile and the adjustment to her composure upon seeing our new cheerleader walk in and be introduced.  And the cheerleader gave a large smile as well, but I instantly noticed the contemptuous gleem in her eyes as she viewed my top seller all dressed in black with artfully died hair, pale cheeks, and darkly lined eyes.  Nonverbal cues play a large role in communication (Nystul, 2006).  Just by reading the unspoken signs I could predict a potential problem between the two girls.

Trigger
            As the weeks went by our new cheerleader's sales started to outshine the goth's sales by a landslide.  I was thrilled with the increase, but could feel the tension brewing.  All too soon catty remarks started to slip out of either mouth here and there and conflict started to develop when the fight for sales started to be visible to the customers. 
Initiation
            One day I left the key holder in charge of the store so I could take my top two sellers out for coffee as a "treat" for their performance.  In conflict between two people one of the involved parties will initiate the process by addressing the fact that there is a conflict (Abigail & Cahn, 2011).  In this conflict, as store manager, I had to personally make sure the conflict was addressed and mediated to a positive resolution.                         

Differentiation
            The girls involved in the conflict were increasingly unpleasant toward each other and their behavior was affecting everyone else in the store.  I could not let the pattern continue to its own conclusion; I had to intervene.
            I started by telling both girls what a great job they were doing, which they already knew.  Then because my goth girl had been there longer and needed to feel better about being outshone in sales I asked her if she could offer suggestions for the rest of the staff.  Then I asked my cheerleader what her secret was to starting out with such a high sales rate.  Then I asked them, away from the store to tell me if they went to school together.  I got lucky, they did.  I asked them a few questions that got them talking and they started to see how similar they were, begrudgingly.  Then I assigned them a project, their job would be to work together to coach the rest of our team on selling technique.
Resolution
            It was actually a gamble, but the two were so excited by the responsibility I gave them that they started talking excitedly about ideas.  When we returned to the store they had transformed into instant friends and started offering each other suggestions as well as what they would do to motivate the rest of the staff.  They always were competitive with each other, but the competition took on a healthy fun edge instead of the tension we previously faced.  I learned through this that when people have no reason not to like each other, but still do not, if they are given a common goal they start to view each other as allies.

Conclusion           
            Fortunately I have always had pragmatic instincts when it comes to communication.  Pragmatic communication is like a chess match between two players.  Both parties involved feed off of the reactions of the other (Trenholm, 2011).  Because of my understanding of the patterns that emerge I am able to mediate conflict between people very easily.  In my own communications I resolve conflicts almost immediately, so rarely does anything escalate.  I am also adept at recognizing when someone has a conflict with me.  When this happens I don’t wait for the other person to initiate, I address their concerns and open up dialogue so the person with an issue feels comfortable bringing it to my attention. 


           



References
Abigail, R.A. and Cahn, D.D. (2011). Managing Conflict Through Communication (4th Ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
Nystul, M.S. (2006). Introduction to Counseling: An art and science perspective (3rd. Ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
Trenholm, S. (2011). Thinking Through Communication: An introduction to the study of human communication (6th Ed.). United States of America: Allyn & Bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment